Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Work in Progress! Checking the Blue Corn Traps

I thought I would post an update on my latest work in progress "Checking the Blue Corn Traps." This colored pencil work was already finished, matted and framed and hanging on the wall. It looked like this:

After looking at it on the wall for about 8 years, I finally decided that the lavender background makes me want to barf. The image itself I still pretty much like. So I took the thing out of its frame and started erasing the purple background and punching up the orange and red strands in the foreground...


I did manage to get most of the background ickiness off of there without damaging the paper. I decided to replace the background with an intense sky blue. Only problem now, was that the three pieces of 'corn' sort of disappeared. Time to do some more erasing.... So I have almost totally re-colored this picture, and am in the final stages of bluing up the corn:

Sorry if the pic is still a little blurry. I am working out some kinks in my new camera...
This does give you a good idea of what it will look like.
For some finished colored pencil works, go here to see my original drawings.




3 comments:

Vestque said...

Looks great. I really like how you punched the oranges up a notch, hehe. The blue is really lovely! Nice call. Can't wait to see it done :D

~Vestque~
http://vestque.wordpress.com

Quwwa said...

Nice work Julie, but I liked the original as well. Has a certain softness to it. I'll keep checking to see when you're finished.

me said...

so cool you are revamping an old favorite. i love your work! thanks for visiting my blog.
lynda andrews-barry (i think my blogger signature is for the blog im writing for my husband!)